This fluffy and moist funfetti cake recipe is full of sprinkles, topped with cream cheese frosting, and of course more sprinkles. Perfect for a birthday, or to enjoy on any day of the week!
This funfetti cake is made with vanilla, a dash of almond, and is topped with a cream cheese frosting which helps balance the sweetness. Using only egg whites in the cake gives it a light, fluffy, moist texture along with a delicious flavor.
I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as too many sprinkles, or too much cake…ever.
How to make this funfetti cake
For this cake, I use reverse mixing or also called the reverse creaming method. The regular creaming method mixes the butter and sugar first, then eggs, and finishes by alternating wet and dry ingredients.
The reverse mixing method is a different process of combining your ingredients together to ensure your result of a velvety cake. First, you start by mixing your dry ingredients along with the sugar, together. Then you add your milk mixture in and begin to blend them together. This method contributes to the fluffy texture of the cake.
What makes this a funfetti cake?
This cake is a spin on my vanilla cake recipe with the addition of sprinkles, of course. A funfetti cake is known to be light, fluffy, and sweet. To get that consistency I use egg whites instead of whole eggs to keep the texture light.
Although oil is a common ingredient for most cakes, in this recipe I substitute the oil for extra butter to achieve a lighter and softer result. I also add a combination of vanilla and almond extract for the perfect amount of sweetness without adding too much extra sugar.
Can you make this recipe into cupcakes?
Yes, this cake recipe will make 2 thick 9-inch circular cakes, or 3, 8-inch cakes. This recipe will make about 24 cupcakes depending on the size of the cupcake.
Can you make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, You can make the cake and frosting ahead of time, and there are a few ways to do so. Baked and cooled cakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
You can also wrap the cooled cakes airtight, and place them in the freezer for about a few weeks. I wouldn’t recommend freezing cake for more than a month.
Can you make the frosting ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the frosting ahead of time. Since this frosting calls for cream cheese it needs to be stored airtight and remain refrigerated.
Taking it out of the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes before using it will help bring it to room temperature so you can spread it smoothly.
Can you assemble the Funfetti cake ahead of time?
This cake can be assembled ahead of time. Bake the cake as directed and frost the cake once it is cooled. Place the cake in a cake container that is airtight and place the cake in the refrigerator. This cake recipe will stay fresh for up to three days in the refrigerator.
Funfetti Cake Recipe
- 3 cups cake flour All purpose flour will work
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter Sliced or cubed
- 1 1/2 cups ganulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract good quality
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease cake pans with non-stick spray or butter and line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- Let the butter, milk, and eggs sit out to reach room temperature.
- In a mixer bowl add flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and whisk.
- Add butter in slices to the dry mixture and beat on medium speed until the mixture appears sandlike with butter chuncks.
- Add milk, vanilla, almond, and egg whites to a large bowl or measuring cup and whisk.
- Pour 2/3 of the milk mixture into the mixer bowl with the sandlike dry ingredients and beat on medium high speed for 2 full minutes.
- After 2 minutes, add the rest of the milk mixture and beat on medium until combined.
- Once batter is mixed, fold in the sprinkles.
- Fill each prepared cake pan with batter until it is about 1/2 full.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done remove the pans from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting.