For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground ginger (or dry ground ginger)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
For the frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- dash of salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2–3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2–3 cups (or more) confectioners sugar.
- Let milk, eggs, and butter sit out to warm up to room temperature.
- Place milk, eggs, vanilla, fresh ginger, and molasses in a liquid measuring cup or bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spices) to a large with a mixer. Add butter and blend on medium-low until incorporated and the mixture had the appearance of a sand-like texture.
- Add 2/3 of the whisked milk mixture to the mixer bowl. Blend at a medium/ high speed for 2 full minutes. The mixture should lighten in color.
- Add the remaining milk mixture and blend on medium speed until incorporated.
- Pour into two greased 8-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing.
- Place butter and cream cheese in a mixer bowl and blend until smooth. Add milk, vanilla, and cocoa powder and blend.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar in small amounts until the frosting reaches the desired consistency. You may need to add more milk or confectioners sugar to get the consistency right. You want to be able to smooth it on the cake without it being too thick or too runny.
I grease cake pans by spraying the inside with non-stick spray, lining the bottom with cut out circular parchment paper, and adding an additional spray to the non-stick parchment before pouring the batter in. This helps prevent sticking or breaking when removing the cake from the pans.
Once the cake is frosted with cream cheese frosting the cake should be served immediately or stored airtight and refrigerated for up to a few days.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes