Green bean casserole recipe all from scratch using fresh ingredients for an amazing holiday staple.
For the casserole:
- 4–5 cups fresh cut green beans
- 7 mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh-cut thyme or dried thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh-cut parsley or dried parsley.
For the fried onions:
- 1 large yellow onion sliced in 1/4 inch rings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, salt, and pepper, whisked.
- 3 eggs whisked in a bowl.
- 2–3 cups panko bread crumbs
To fry the onions:
- Have a plate lined with paper towels set to the side for the onions when they are taken out of the pot.
- Place flour, eggs, and panko bread crumbs in their own separate medium bowl.
- With a fork, first, dip the sliced onions into the flour mixture. Then dip into the whisked eggs, then dip into the panko bread crumbs. Make sure each layer is coated well, and place all coated onions on a plate.
- In a large pot, pour vegetable or canola oil until oil is at least 2 inches high. Heat burner to medium-high heat and let the oil heat up.
- Once the oil is hot, use tongs to place the onions into the oil. Cook the onions for a few minutes in the oil turning halfway through the cooking process. I turn the onions and remove them from the pan with a large mesh strainer.
- Remove the fried onions from the oil when they are light golden brown. They will brown more when they are topped on the casserole and baked in the oven.
For the casserole:
- Clean the green beans, trim the tips, and cut them in half or into thirds, and blanch them, and set them aside. (blanching optional)
- In a large pot add 1/4 stick of butter and diced onions. Sautee the onions until they are translucent. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 stick of butter (or more if necessary). Once butter is melted, add 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, and stir. Cook this mixture for a few minutes to cook the flour. This is the roux, you want it to get thick and bubbly.
- Add chicken stock, heavy cream, and sour cream and stir well.
- Next, add the salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley, give a quick stir and add the green beans.
- Let the mixture cook for a few minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. If the sauce is too thin, you can add more sour cream. If the sauce is too thick you can add more chicken broth.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish and top with fried onions.
- Bake in the oven at 375 degrees F. for 30-45 minutes, or until onions are crisp and casserole is bubly.