It is surprisingly easy to make your own homemade caramel sauce. This recipe is simple and easy, it just takes a few minutes to cook. It’s great for dessert toppings or for coating caramel apples…..or as I prefer… straight off the spoon!Print
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place a candy thermometer to a medium saucepan. Stir together sugars, butter and cream. Cook on medium heat until it comes to a boil. Let simmer for a few minutes. I let it reach 325 degrees then take off heat. Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt.
- Let cool and enjoy! Keep refrigerated..
It may take between 15-20 minutes to bring sauce to temperature, different stove tops vary.
Caramel sauce will thicken as it cools.
You will need a candy thermometer that attaches to the side of your pan.