A recipe for roasting pumpkin to make your own homemade delicious pumpkin puree that can be used in any recipe that calls for pumpkin.
- Clean and dry pumpkin(s). Line the bottom of the roasting pan with enough parchment paper to cover the bottom.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the tops off of the pumpkin or pumpkins.
- Scrape out all of the seeds and stringy fibers and set aside.
- Place pumpkin(s) on the parchment-lined roasting pan and place in the oven. Roast for about 1 hour or until the pumpkin flesh is soft enough for a fork to poke through easily. The outer rind will remain tough but will easily remove.
- Once they are done remove them from the oven and let cool in pan on stove before handling.
- Once they are cooled, peel off the pumpkin skin and scrape out pumpkin flesh and place in a ninja blender , blender, or food processor you have and blend for a few minutes until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for later use.
Depending on how many pumpkins are roasted at a time will determine the total roasting time. I roasted 3 pumpkins and they were ready at about 1 hour. If you only roast 1 pumpkin roasting time may be less.
Roasting times also very by oven. Most pumpkins will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes to soften at 350 degrees. Keep an eye on them while they are cooking and begin checking on them after 45 minutes in the oven.
I measured about 1 small sweet pumpkin made about 1 1/2- 2 cups of pumpkin puree.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour