- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 oz melted chocolate (2 tbsp butter to melt chocolate)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a double boiler or medium saucepan melt chocolate and two tablespoons of butter over low heat and stir until dissolved. When melted remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixer bowl place room temperature butter, vegetable oil and sugars. Blend until fluffy. Add melted chocolate, vanilla and eggs one at a time.
- Alternating dry and wet ingredients with the mixer on a low/medium speed, starting with the dry add flour mix into mixture. Then add milk and alternate until you finish with the last bit of flour. Scraping the sides as you go.
- Once blended well place enough batter into a baking dish lined with cupcake liners, add enough batter to fill cupcake liners halfway to the top. This recipe will rise so I only fill halfway up.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes completely cool before icing.
I recommend bringing the butter, milk and eggs to room temperature before starting. I ususally let the butter and milk sit out for a few minutes. You can place cold eggs in a large cup filled with warm water to bring them to room temperature.